Updated: Mar 9
There are many creative ways to celebrate Valentine's Day whether it’s with your friends, family, spouse, or even by yourself. Personally, I’ve spent more Valentine’s Day on my own, finding ways to treat myself. To help the planning pressure, I asked folks on Instagram for their own creative ideas. Together, we compiled a list of gift ideas and ways to celebrate Valentine's Day in and around Claremont.
1) Creative Card Making Workshop. Create a custom, thoughtful Valentine’s Day card someone special at the Creative Card Making Workshop on February 6 at the Claremont Farmers Market from 8 AM to1 PM. Donations are welcome to cover the cost of materials.
2) Commission a Portrait. Christy is a local artist who draws custom portraits through Adobe Sketch. The process is simple just purchase a portrait from her Etsy shop, upload a photo, and wait 7-10 days. Once approved by you, she'll digitally send you the file and you can print it out and find your own frame.
3) Galentine’s Day Brunch. @tracy.alysse suggests rounding up your girlfriends for a Galentine’s Day brunch. Popular brunch spots in Claremont include Bardot, Le Pain Quotidian, Union on Yale, and Walter’s Restaurant. Bottomless mimosas, anyone?
4) Sweets for your Sweet. Let’s steer away from the “been there done that” box of chocolates and upgrade to these:
Mini pies from I Like Pie Bake Shop
A bag of mini donuts from Nosy Neighbor Coffee
Cupcakes from Some Crust Bakery
Assorted pastries from Crème Bakery
Chocolate covered strawberries from Wolfe’s Kitchen & Deli
5) Family Pizza Night. @onebanatwobana suggests a Valentine’s Day celebration with the whole family at Pizza N’ Such, a family owned pizzeria (and Claremont staple) in Claremont Village since 1979.
6) Custom Succulent Arrangement. Let’s face it, flower arrangements aren’t for everyone. However, succulent arrangements is another ballgame! Diane Barnes, owner of Artful Succulents, is a talented local succulent designer and will be offering:
14" heart wreaths for $55 (place 48 hr. in advance)
5"x10" cedar hanging vertical gardens for $65
12" concrete planters for $35
Other arrangements starting at $25
You can place your orders at least 24 hours in advance by phone call/text (951) 505-5112 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
*Fun Fact*90% of her plants come from growers who are female or minority owned. All arrangements use fully rooted succulents, not cuttings. So it's the gift that keeps on giving!
Photo cred: Various arrangement images provided by Diane Barnes
7) Quarantine Date Night: @tinatreras suggests a date night indoors while cooking a gourmet meal and enjoying a bottle of wine. Yes to it all! Head over to Graze and Gather Butcher Shop for your dinner ingredients and pick up a bottle of wine at We Olive & Wine Bar or VomFass. If you want to turn it up a notch, stop by The Hens’ Kitchen Shoppe for cute kitchen décor and pick up Valentine’s Day candle scents from The Smell House inside the Claremont Packing House.
8) Coffee Date at the Botanic Gardens. We have a winner on our hands, folks! Visit the stunning California Botanic Gardens, located on Foothill Blvd in Claremont, which contains the largest garden of California native plants. This 86-acre garden is home to a 300+ year old Majestic Oak tree, turtle pond, Joshua Trees, Fan Palm Oasis, walking trails, and more! Grab your coffee beforehand at Rev’d Up Coffee which is conveniently located across the street.
9) Picnic and Film. @nicoledholguin suggests a picnic and film - great idea! Pick up a simple lunch or dinner at The Spot Café, Dr Grubbs, Pizza N’ Such, or Wolfe’s Deli (all located in Claremont) and take it to a lush Claremont park such as Shelton Park, Memorial Park, or outside of Bridges Auditorium. Afterwards, head over to Video Paradise to rent a movie or catch a flick at Laemmle Claremont 5.
10) Custom Flower Arrangement. A gorgeous flower arrangement is a classic way to show appreciation for your valentine. Place a custom order from Claremont based Delia Haro by call/text (909) 728-0702 or email email@example.com. 5683 Blooms Claremont is another Claremont based option and they are a mother-daughter team. Place your custom order by phone (909) 241-4255 or through Instagram @5683bloom
11) Romantic Dinner in Claremont Village. A romantic dinner in Claremont? Sign me up! Many restaurants in Claremont are offering a special Valentine’s Day dinner menu such as Tutti Mangia Italian Chop House, Packing House Wines, Union on Yale, The Quarter Creole Cuisine, and The Meat Cellar. Reservations are highly encouraged.
12) Lounge Around the Fire Pits. If you don’t quite want to stay in but don’t want to do the restaurant thing, head over to Casa 425 hotel lounge! Take a seat in the lounge area by the fire pits and take in the view of the trees with stringed lights throughout and charming Spanish-style architecture. They serve food and have a full bar. You might even luck out if you get Tish or Elizabeth to serve you.
13) 5-Star Bubble Bath. Set up the ultimate bubble bath experience at your own home. Stage your bubble bath with unique candle scents from The Smell House, cheese and wine from Cheese Cave, bath accessories from Aromatique, and plush bathrobe and slippers from Jasmine boutique shop.
14) Magic Show in Claremont. Local magician Greg Van Hornbeck is the talented behind the Handcrafted Mysteries magic show and voted best local illusionist by Inland Empire Magazine. You can catch his shows on February 4th and 18th at Rev’d Up Coffee. Purchase your ticket(s) ahead of time and enter promo code ‘missclaremont’ for 20% off.
15) Art classes at Studio Claremont. @nsj_millo suggests taking art classes at Studio Claremont in Claremont Packing House. If you aren’t able to book a class, have an art session at home! Purchase your art supplies from Neon Moon Art Supply in Claremont Village.
16) Jewelry . . . Enough Said. I’ve never met a diamond I didn’t like ;) If diamonds and gemstones are your jam The Diamond Center located in Claremont Village has it all. They carry absolutely stunning rings, earrings, and necklaces. Most importantly their Hearts on Fire jewelry collection will make your heart skip a beat. Respun Retro has a jewelry kiosk inside the Claremont Packing House and carries unique jewelry that range in styles such as vintage, modern, bold, or simple.
17) Claremont Scavenger Hunt. This one’s for my people "above and beyond" people! @Rgbmuted suggests creating a "Claremont Scavenger Hunt" (for the win!). Put together a fun, creative scavenger hunt for your friends, family, or spouse and see what adventures and memories you will create.
18) Dinner Theater at Candlelight Pavilion. A dinner and show is an ideal way to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Candlelight Pavilion is a dinner theater venue located in Claremont. Shows happening in February are:
Feb 12 -14: The Everly Brothers Experience starring the Zmed Brothers
Feb 19 - 20: Michael Ryan The Spirit of Ireland
Feb 18 - Mar 13: Candlelight Jubilee
Call the box office for reservations 909-626-1254
19) Arcade Date Night. Ok, hear me out, because this is my personal wild card suggestion! Go back to your teenage roots and have a lighthearted evening at Lost Levels Arcade in the Claremont Packing House. After your fill of Pac Man, Street Fighter, and Donkey Kong, walk over to 21 Choices Frozen Yogurt to share dessert (adjacent to the Claremont Parking Structure). Take your dessert up to the 3rd level of the Claremont Parking Structure where you'll get an aerial view of the Claremont Packing House while you share a classic romantic moment together (awwwwww).
20) Take a Hike (in a good way). Claremont is full of hiking and walking trails ranging in all levels of difficulty. Hiking with a partner is a great way to spend quality time while clocking in those steps and burning those calories. This blog post highlights the best hiking and walking trails in Claremont.
There you have it - plenty of ideas to mull over to make Valentine’s Day a special day for yourself and/or loved ones.
I sincerely hope you found these suggestions helpful.
Drop a comment below and share your thoughts.
Cheers and Happy Valentine's Day! <3